The South Carolina homeschool law for 3rd options is as follows: Option 3Section 59-65-47 In lieu of the requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45, parents or guardians may teach their children at home if the instruction is conducted under the auspices of an association for home schools which has no fewer than fifty members and meets the requirements of this section. Bona fide membership and continuing compliance with the academic standard of the association exempts the home school from the further requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45. The State Department of Education shall conduct annually a review of the association standards to ensure that requirements of the association, at a minimum, include:
- A parent must hold at least a high school diploma or the equivalent general educational development (GED) certificate
- The instructional year is at least one hundred eighty days.
- The curriculum includes, but is not limited to, the basic instructional areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies, and in grades seven through twelve, composition and literature.
- Educational records shall be maintained by the parent-teacher and include:
- A plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities in which the student and parent-teacher engage.
- A portfolio of samples of the student’s academic work.
- A semi-annual progress report including attendance records and individualized documentation of the student’s academic progress in each of the basic instructional areas specified in item (c) above.
By January thirtieth of each year, all associations shall report the number and grade level of children home schooled through the association to the children’s respective school districts.