HERALD5 (Home Educators of Richland and Lexington District Five) is a support group for Christian homeschooling families of the Midlands of South Carolina. Our desire as parents is to Biblically instruct our children, allow and encourage our children to pursue their God-given talents and interests, seek out special instruction as needed, gain wisdom and fellowship with both veteran homeschooling parents and those who are new to homeschooling, and accomplish these goals with support from like-minded families. Founded in 1986 as a volunteer organization, most of HERALD5’s members reside in the Lexington, Irmo, and Chapin areas, but our membership is open to families outside of those geographic areas who wish to travel the homeschool journey together with us. We are solely a support group, helping parents navigate the questions and muddy waters that may arise about curricula and other homeschool matters and providing a supportive network of others who have “been there, done that” and wish to help smooth a new homeschooling family’s path. To legally homeschool in the State of South Carolina, parents also must join an accountability association. We highly recommend SAFE in HERALD5! HERALD5 provides many activities and interactive events for our members, including:
- Online calendar of upcoming events – mom’s meetups, field trips, playgroups, etc.
- HEART Group – A service-oriented social organization for students in 7th-12th grades
- A dedicated New Member Contact who can answer specific questions about HERALD5 and homeschooling in general
- Annual graduation ceremony for high school graduates
- Social media, text, and email alerts about important events and homeschooling resources
- Small, geographically oriented groups for parents and children to engage and participate with their HERALD5 neighbors
- Box Tops for Education program